Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Paleo Cuban Pork Hash

I love my food magazines, but it's rare that I come across recipes that are paleo right from those gorgeous glossy pages, so I put on one of my cute Anthro aprons, crank some music and pretend I'm someone important from a test kitchen.  I really enjoy tweaking and playing with recipes because I feel like the paleo diet (more like lifestyle) can open up so many doors when it comes to health and happiness, that I want to share it with everyone I know - foodies included.  We have friends over for dinner and they'd never know it was a 'paleo' meal.  That is why I spend my time in the kitchen!  On that note - any suggestions for recipes that need to be paleo-cized?? 

This hash recipe is from Saveur Magazine and is definitely something I will be making on the regular.  It's flavorful, hearty, good at any time of day, it's even good cold.  If you can't find ground pork, it might even be good with some leftover pot roast. 




Heat a couple tbs of canola oil in a large saucepan and add 1 cinnamon stick, 1 onion/1 bell pepper/1/2 of 1 small butternut squash all finely diced.  Saute until onions are translucent, then add a couple minced garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tbs dried cilantro, 1 tsp ground cloves and cook for a couple more minutes.  Add 1 1/2 lbs of ground pork and brown.

Add a dash of salt and pepper, 1 16oz can or jar of diced tomatoes with the liquid, 3/4 c raisins, 3/4 pimento stuffed olives (halved) and cook 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid is gone.  Mix in 3/4 c slivered almonds and 2 tbs apple cider vinegar.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...