Thursday, April 7, 2011

Paleo Meat Cupcakes - Turkey & Pork Cupcakes with Jalapeno Butternut Squash Icing

Who says the cupcake craze has to be limited to flour and sugar laden sweets? (Also, I heard that BBQ is the new burgers, which were the new cupcakes, before they were the new frozen yogurt - finally a food trend I can really get behind).  These little guys pack a fragrant punch with all of the herbs, so try to use fresh if possible, and the sweet heat from the 'frosting' really brings that out. 

These turned out to be really tasty and fun, and if you leave the frosting off they freeze well. 



For the cupcakes:
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground pork sausage
1 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 400 and spray a muffin tin with olive oil, or grease with coconut oil. Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl (using your hands works the best) and place meat mixture in to a muffin tin.  You can fill up the cups to the brim as the meat won't expand out and up.  Bake for about 20-25 minutes until cooked thoroughly. 


For the "icing":
1 small butternut squash
1 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs pickled jalapenos (plus extras for garnish)

Cut squash in half and remove seeds.  Wrap each 1/2 in foil and bake until tender.   Scoop out the roasted flesh and pulse in a food processor with the coconut oil (easier to work with if you warm it up) and jalapenos until you have a smooth paste.  Frost away! 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

These look so fun!!

Anonymous said...

these are great. thank you. the guys at the fire station ask for them regularly now.

TABC Certification Online said...

This is new to me. The first thing I saw was the Jalapeno lying above the cupcake. I said to myself, "What does this cupcake taste like?" I still can't imagine the flavors. I think I'm gonna try this recipe to the test at home.

Robyn said...

Do these freeze well? Trying to create a staple of frozen healthy foods for those long days at work when I don't have time to cook...has anyone frozen them (without the icing)?

Seaside Kitchen said...

Robyn - these do freeze well sans icing. I usually wrap them individually in plastic wrap then put them in a freezer bag.

Jorge Ramiro said...

It looks awesome, it reminds me a lot to something I have eaten in Buenos Aires. It was great, it looks delicious. I have stayed in some apartments that I have found in For Rent Argentina. It was also very nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...