Thursday, October 18, 2012

Paleo Grilled Lemon Dijon Cole Slaw

While I may be craving fall dishes, we've been having a lingering summer which I can't say I'm upset about.  So, in the meantime, I've been looking for fall-esque dishes that still work with 80+ degree weather.  I saw a recipe similar to this one on Pinterest, figured I'd try it out a version of my own.   Crunchy, zesty and blasted with citrus.  This was even good the next day.




1/2 head red cabbage, roughly chopped
1/2 head Napa cabbage, roughly chopped
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp mayo
1 tbs Dijon mustard
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
salt & pepper
1/2 cup raw pecans

Heat a grill pan over the stove, or fire up your BBQ and get your mesh grill basket  ready.  In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, mayo, Dijon, lemon zest & juice and a dash of salt and pepper.

Working in batches, grill up your red cabbage until it becomes bright in color and the edges just start to char.  No need to add oil to the pan, just be sure to toss frequently on med-high heat then toss in the bowl. Do the same for your Napa cabbage, and finally a batch of onion and apple.  The onions should just become slightly translucent and the apples fragrant.  Roughly chop the pecans and cook, tossing constantly, until you can really smell the flavor, but don't let them brown (less than a minute since your pan is already primed).

This all happens pretty fast,  so I'd recommend standing at the stove the entire time (I promise, it's less than 15 minutes out of your life).  Toss it all together and serve it up! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...