Monday, November 5, 2012

Paleo Mexican Chicken Soup

I spent an amazing weekend wine tasting with my husband for our anniversary, and while you'll never get me to give up my vino, a weekend of sampling all that the great state of California's harvest had to offer left me feeling a little off kilter on this Monday.  This can usually be remedied with some detox recipes -  simple, whole foods that are easy on my post Sunday-funday stomach (this girl does not drink lemonade for 10 days, she gets way too hangry)

This chicken soup is just easy.  Easy to make, easy to eat, easy on the wallet, easy on the stomach.  It's simple enough to be comforting but also a little unique so it has some great flavor.





For the soup:
2 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
1 onion, diced
1 whole chicken (giblets removed)
8 oz chicken broth
8 oz +/- water
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
salt & pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
zest & juice from 2 limes

Accoutrements:
avocado
lime
cilantro
green onions

Place a large stock pot on the stove over medium heat. Place a small glug of olive oil and add your onion and garlic cooking until they begin to soften a bit.  Rinse your chicken and take off the majority of the skin.   Place that bad boy in the pot and add the chicken stock, adding a little water to make sure the bird is totally covered.  You can use all chicken stock for a richer flavor, or all water, but be sure to add more spices to give it some depth.

Let that simmer on low for an afternoon (about 3+ hours), you can check on it if you'd like - I'm one of those people that can't leave a pot unstirred or a skillet unshaken when I walk into a kitchen, even if it's not my own, I feel compelled to provide motion - but you don't have to.  Add the carrots, celery, limes, and spices and let is simmer until the chicken is done (it will fall a part when you stir it) and veggies are tender.

Serve up the soup (sans bones) with sliced avocado, cilantro and green onions.  Add a couple shakes of  Cholula  if you need some kick!

You can also make this in the crockpot, just throw it all in there and set it on low.  









*full discloser - if you buy one of these I will receive a very small but much appreciated commission.  All contributions keep the lights on the kitchen and the fridge stocked for future blog posts.  Mahalo

1 comment:

healthly meals said...



I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..



gluten free recipe

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...