Monday, August 24, 2009

Recipe: Homemade Energy Bars

I don’t eat energy bars very often, usually only before a really tough workout or a race, but I mistakenly read the label the other day on my *brand-will-remain-nameless bar, and I was shocked at how much sugar and unrecognizable stuff was in there.

So I found a recipe for some ‘primal’ energy bars, and started playing with the recipe. The Paleo Diet is gaining popularity with athletes, and while I don’t subscribe to it completely, I do think there’s a lot of truth to the practice. This recipe uses almonds as a base, and they come out pretty delicious!!! Also, you can save some major $ making this yourself. Having a good food processor helps immensely too.




· In a food processor, pulse ½ cup raw almonds, ½ cup walnuts or pecans, ½ cup almond meal, 3 tbs flax seeds, and ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut

· In a pan, melt ¼ cup almond butter and ¼ cup coconut oil on low until liquid (both will be fairly solid when not heated up). Remove from heat and add 2 tsp vanilla extract, pinch of sea salt and 1 tbs honey.

· Mix in almond mixture, and fold in ½ cup dried fruit (I like to use gogi berries and blueberries). Press into a baking dish and put in the fridge.





After chilling, sprinkle with slivered almonds and cut into squares!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...