Monday, October 25, 2010

Spicy Scallops, Chopsticks Required

My scallops are crowded.  Anyone who's ever cooked these delicious bivalves will tell you 3 things. Get the pan screaming hot, don't overcook them, and don't crowd them.  For all the ways I love the lengthy process of preparing a good meal, I also loathe it.  Let's face it, I'm human and I get hungry and if I'm not fed in a timely manner I can also get a little cranky.  At times, it's best for all involved to get a tasty meal out quickly.  So my scallops are crowded.  Mea culpa.

This dish is my take on a lot of 'dynamite' scallop dishes you see at sushi restaurants, sans the copious amounts of mayo and MSG.  I'd recommend using chopsticks, or these suckers will be gone faster than you can say arigato. 





Saute some sliced leeks, finely julienned carrots and couple dried Thai chilies (remove these before eating) in a pan until the leeks are translucent.  Add 1 can coconut milk, 2 tbs fish sauce, 1 tbs minced garlic, salt & pepper, a healthy squirt of Srircha hot sauce, and a couple drips of chili oil if you're feeling adventurous.  Simmer until reduced to about 1/3.  In a separate pan sear scallops, remembering they are not sardines.  

Serve scallops and sauce over a bed of diced avocado and cucumber.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...